Saturday, August 15, 2009

Keenie Anyone?

I know what many of you are thinking- Easton has turned into a vampire and he's holding a giant zucchini. Don't worry it's not blood, just kool-aid that he drank. And the keenie, as he calls them, is just one of the 3,765 zuks we've plucked from our garden.I've made zucchini bread, cupcakes, sauteed it, blanched it, frozen it and given it away. Yet, there still seems to be an endless supply. Easton has even made friends with it. He also made friends with a fellow squash and cucumber. If you look close at the picture below you can see the cucumber has a few bites taken out of it with tape, rubber bands and paper clips attached to it. This cucumber became best friends with Easton and was carried around for about a week until it shriveled up into oblivion I've also been up to my ears in green peppers. I diced some and cut some into strips. I then laid them on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer for about an hour. After which I put them into freezer bags. Now when I need pepper strips for fajitas or smothered chicken I can just pull some out of the freezer. Hopefully they taste ok. I've never frozen them before. If anyone has- will you please let me know how they turned out.





1 comment:

Kristin said...

when they thaw, they'll be mushy, but hey, frozen meals have them. My friend's recipe blog has a good recipe for cheesy zucchini patties, my family loved them.
http://cmrecipebox.blogspot.com/2009/08/cheesy-zucchini-patties.html
btw, everything on her blog is delish. she's an awesome cook.