Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day

 My heart is filled with gratitude for the many men and women who sacrifice so much in order to preserve liberty.  We enjoy so many freedoms in this great land because of those heroic, brave people.

My own life has been personally touched by many heroic people.  Two of those hero's are Clint's grandfather, grandpa Ralph and my own grandfather, Don.  In April we had the opportunity to travel down to Manti to watch as Ralph received his Purple Heart award.  While stationed in Iwo Jima during WWII  Ralph was shot in the shoulder.  He quickly returned home after being shot and therefore did not receive his much deserved medal.  Clint's Aunt Kathy completed the necessary paperwork and after over 60 years Grandpa Ralph finally received his Purple Heart.

(Grandpa Ralph with his wife and children)

While in Manti we also had a chance to visit my grandfather Don.  He fought in the Pacific during WWII as well.  Little did I know that my visit with my grandfather in April would be the last time I would see him.  He passed away May 6th.  He was 90 years old. 



I am grateful for these men and so many others who have sacrificed so much in order that we can enjoy the many beautiful freedoms we have here in America.  I love this country and feel so blessed to be an American.

1 comment:

Me said...

Charisse, I am so sorry to hear about you Grandpa. That's great you could see him before he passed.